The Patchwork of Life

The musings of a homeschool mom, minister's wife, Bible class teacher, and mother's caretaker who quilts in her spare time, and occasionally has time for reading and writing blogs!

Friday, September 14, 2007

Make it from scratch...pancakes!

Today at breakfast, while we were eating our pancakes, I told the kids that when we first married, I was using Bisquick to make pancakes. I characterized them as big, fat, and ugly. One Saturday we were hosting a pancake breakfast at the house for a small group, and I ran out of Bisquick. Betty Crocker, what do I do? I got out the trusty red cookbook, and set to work making pancakes from scratch. I probably didn't have any buttermilk in the house, but I might have used sour milk (made with vinegar).

Needless to say, I had saved the best for last, and we never looked back...at the Bisquick box. I transformed myself into a buttermilk cook like my mother, and now we have made from scratch, whole wheat pancakes on a regular basis. Very easy, and oh, so tasty!

Here's a recipe in case Betty Crocker doesn't live at your house. I like my pancakes pretty thin, so if you like fat ones, use the same amount of flour and buttermilk.

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
2 T. oil ---beat these ingredients with a whisk, then add:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, pastry or regular
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
Mix with whisk until smooth.
Bake on preheated griddle (325 degrees on my electric skillet) until bubbles form, then flip carefully. Makes 12-14 4" pancakes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

I'm so glad you made the transition. I still can't believe you've used Bisquick within my lifetime!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I've not tried from-scratch pancakes, but, from your recommendation, I might have to! You make it sound so easy!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

This is on my list of "Why did I ever buy a mix?" They really are about as easy to make from scratch. I haven't gotten in the habit yet, but you can also turn your recipe into a mix by mixing the dry ingredients in bulk. :)

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home