The Patchwork of Life

The musings of a homeschool mom, minister's wife, Bible class teacher, and mother's caretaker who quilts in her spare time, and occasionally has time for reading and writing blogs!

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Every day is Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a bittersweet holiday for our family. We lost my mother-in-law rather suddenly three years ago, and we are losing my mother very slowly to some sort of dementia. We live close enough to Mother to care for her on a daily basis, so in a very real way, every day is Mother's Day.

Every day I make sure she's taken her medicine. Every day I pick up the little messes she's left behind. Every day I try to encourage her when she feels depressed about her lack of memory.
And almost every day, I struggle with the anguish of her becoming someone besides the Mother I once knew.

We are so thankful, though. I could make a good-sized list of the things she is still able to do on her own. She still knows and recognizes all of us. She still understands a good joke and laughs. She still enjoys looking out at the birds, flowers and deer.

A patchwork quilt would seem trite and uninspiring if it did not have some trials and struggles of life woven in, to provide contrast to the good times and the blessings.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

So glad to have discovered you! I have walked where you are now - and eventually cared for my mother in our home until she went to be with the Lord. As hard as it was to bathe, feed, and change my own mother, I miss her terribly, and am incredibly blessed that I was able to be her caregiver. In Christ ~ Patricia

9:08 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Judson said...

I think you might appreciate this post over at Liberty and Lily back on March 21, in which Donna-Jean talks about her grandmother: http://libertyandlily.blogspot.com/2006/03/for-mimi.html

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home